Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sonntag 5/31/09



Today marks the one-week point in our trip, but the funny thing is that it feels like we've been here for months. I guess one contributing factor to the time warp is that we've already passed through three countries, and taken three plane rides and one bus trip.

The meetings were good today (the parts that I was awake during, that is), and one thing that's happening to me experientially is that I'm starting to learn how to trust in the Lord and give matters to him. That's always been hard for me because I can typically solve all of my problems, and I don't like people touching "my stuff."

Here's a practical example that happened today. Our next plane leaves from Frankfurt Hahn Airport, which is about a two hour drive away. We had no idea how to get there, but one guy here, named Isaac, told us everything we need to do to get there. Plus, there"s a route through Heidelberg, which I wanted to see but didn't think I'd be able to fit in on this trip. Isaac lives in Heidelberg, and we'll probably be able to stay with him or someone he knows until we have to leave to go to Frankfurt. See? Things are being arranged in a way much better than I could ever have planned.

Another thing happened today. It wasn't related to the message of the meeting, but I started to feel the Lord touching me about Stanford. I'm not sure if the feeling is to give it up and come to Europe for school/work/living, but I really hope that the Lord doesn't want me to give Stanford up. I have to keep praying about this matter. I know I want to come to Europe long-term eventually, but I don"t know how or when it's going to happen.

I really want to come back to Germany next summer for a few weeks, though. They're proofreading a version of the bible, and it'd be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to live in Germany, serve the Lord, and really brush up on my German. I think I'm going to take German classes as my electives at Stanford, so that I can be of some use there next summer. It's crazy how much of my German came back already, but I know I need a lot more work.



Fun/Good things that happened today: During the break time David and I took a bunch more pictures relating to Chris' modified idea. That's really vague, I know. Then we played chess on this huge chessboard with some German kids.



Then, there was a campfire at night with singing. I always liked things like that growing up, and it was cool to sing songs we knew that were translated into German. Unfortunately, I didn't get the words to "Lord, I just love you," but I?ll try to figure them out later. Right now, I'm going to sleep!

One more day in Germany, then off to Rome. I wish I could do this for a living.

No comments: