Sunday, July 12, 2009

Montag 6/1/09

The meetings were so good today. It was the first time in a long time that I shared in a meeting and really wanted to. I don't know if this is a Europe thing or if it's going to be long-term, but I'll take it. I've had some really good experiences here so far, and I don't want them to stop.

What's cool is that I got to share in German. It was one small, easy sentence, but they understood me!

After the conference was over, we ended up taking a train to Heidelberg. It worked out nicely because Phoebe, one of the sisters we met here, is leaving for London from Frankfurt Hahn, too. She hooked us up with Isaiah, Andy, Angelina (twins), and Sorn, who live/work/are students in Heidelberg. I love that we keep meeting people on this trip.



As is evident in the picture, we were in a rush to catch the train.

David and I definitely napped on the train ride, and it was pretty good that we recharged because we took a long walk through and around Heidelberg when we got there (after dropping off our bags at Andy and Angelina's place). Basically, we walked along the river and then up a hill to get a nice view of the city/castle. It was awesome! the city is really picturesque, and you can't even tell that parts of it were damaged by the war.



I'm pretty used to walking a whole heck of a lot now, and that's one thing I like about this trip; I feel like I can walk anywhere once I get home.

The markets and shops below the castle were pretty cool. A lot of the shops were too touristy, but one thing that stood out was that they had gummi bear shops, which are pretty characteristic of Germany. I got couple of packs - one to snack on there and one to bring back to work. The souvenir buying has started.

We met up with Isaiah, his wife, Andy, Angelina, and Sorn for dinner at this restaurant that serves big portions of meat in downtown - my kind of restaurant. I got an order of Pig's Knuckle, which was huge, crispy, and probably very heart-attack inducing. I tried some of Isaiah's beer (bier, here), which was pretty good. Interestingly, it's the first alcoholic drink I've had in Europe. That's another thing I noticed on this trip - I don't really have as big of a craving for alcohol here. Europe is good for me.



That's the pig's knuckle. We ordered about 8 of these, so basically, two pigs died because of us that night.

The fellowship at the table was pretty good. We talked about how the Lord spoke to us/affected us by coming to Europe, how the Lord prepared us, and how we're like soldiers at the point of no return.

After dinner, we headed back to Andy and Angelina's place to pick up our bags because our next flight was leaving from Frankfurt at 6 AM. We were planning on heading there early and sleeping in the airport, but they offered to let us stay at their place and leave for the airport in the morning. This was pretty cool of them, and it gave us an opportunity to have more time to talk to them and do laundry (my sock bag was pretty rancid).

It turns out that we both know a family in Indonesia, and Andy grew up with someone I knew as a kid (His name is John Tahir, and He lived in California for a few years when he was younger). I'm starting to really believe that whole 6 degrees of separation thing.

The twins went to bed early, and we cleaned their place a little bit, checked how to get to the next hostel from Rome Ciampino Airport, folded our laundry, and are heading out to the bus station.

It's about 1 AM right now, and we're going to take a two hour bus ride to Frankfurt. It's a 20 minute walk to the bus station. Hope we don't get lost! :)

No comments: