Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sigh...One Week Left 6/3/09



I have a really bad habit of counting down the days until something good will end. I'm not going to let it get me down, though. It's been too awesome here and I want to enjoy every moment I have.

I don't really miss home. I actually want to live here sometime in the future. I should start looking at engineering programs in Germany. I do miss certain things, though, like the gym, fresh fruit, my dog, and some people. I've been coping, though - 50 push-ups and sit-ups a night have been enough so I don't get that restless leg syndrome crap right before I want to go to sleep.

We saw the Cappuccin Crypt this morning, and it was pretty out-of-this-world. The bones of over 4000 monks and royal children are arranged "artistically" in this crypt, and it's morbid and fascinating at the same time. I wasn't allowed to take pictures, and I didn't even try to here because there weren't too many people visiting the site and the overseeing lady was watching me like no other. Here's a little sample taken by somebody else:



After our little underworld trip we headed off to the Vatican. St. Peter's Basilica was closed in the morning due to a Papal Audience (which is exactly what it sounds like), so we snuck into the city by going past the guards through the post office and other buildings. We got pretty far in, but didn't see anything super interesting - just the place where they print the Vatican Museum booklets and the back of the Museum, which was under construction (cool no-access ship and fountain, though!). Anyway, after a certain point a guard told us to walk back out so we did. That was our little adventure, which conveniently passed the time until the Basilica was open again.

Thanks for the warning about the scams, DHuh! We went to the Vatican Museum at 12:30, and along the way were a BUNCH of people who tried to sell us tours, offering to get us in so we didn't have to wait in line. It's a bunch of bull crap. Don't believe them even if they seem friendly, speak perfect English with American accents, and wear nice cloths. We were able to get tickets and go in without tours or waiting in a line for more than 5 minutes. Don't fall for it.

The Museum was cool, and I got my illegal pictures from inside the Sistine Chapel! Yessir, that's the famous painting of Adam and God nearly touching fingers. It was really surreal to be there. There were a ton of other things we saw there, but I'm too tired to recall anything else of major importance. I'll let my camera be my memory for now.



After being Vatican-ed out, we got in contact with some saints we've been emailing in Rome. They work at a clothing store called New Boy in Rome's Chinatown, so dropped by and had some fellowship with two of the store owners, Sister Huang and Sister Li. Unfortunately, they only speak Italian and Mandarin (neither of which I'm any good at), so I kinda just sat there eating pistachios while David did all the talking. The worst thing is that I can understand enough to know what's going on, but don't know enough to speak a coherent sentence. David was pretty encouraging, though, and I'm glad one of us could speak Chinese. I hope they don't think I'm just a quiet kid who really likes pistachios.

Random fact 4: There are fobby Chinese accents for every language! So far, I've heard a German and an Italian one. It's kinda cute.

We ended up going to dinner after the sisters closed the shop, and ate at a fast food pasta place in the Termini Station. It was cheap with huge portions - I got a chicken leg, pasta pomodoro, bread, and potatoes for about 6 euros (8 or 9 dollars), and could barely finish it all.



Quick Italian fact: The word, "Prego" is like "Bitte" in German. It can mean both "You're welcome" and "Please." I pretty much know the same vocab set in all the languages of the countries we've gone to: Good morning, thank you, please, you're welcome, no, yes, do you speak English, where's the toilet, and numbers. It can get you further than you'd expect.

We went back to the Trevi Fountain after walking them halfway home, and went back out for gelato and souvenier shopping - it's a really nice way to end a tiring day of walking. I got grapefruit and melon this time, and both were perfect again.

We kept walking in the neighborhood, and saw a crowd of people around someone sitting cross-legged on the floor. I'm glad I gave into my curiousity because what I saw was one of the cooler things I saw in Rome thus far. All the people were watching this young girl spray paint pictures of the Colosseum and various nature scenes. She was selling them for only 10 euros, and I had to get one. I've discovered that cheap artwork is one of my weaknesses.



I almost ordered my painting (there was a line), but the girl took a break and we went back to that Pinnochio store I mentioned yesterday. DShaw got something for his brother, and we headed back to where the spray paining artist was. I got an awesome night scene of the Colosseum, and DShaw got the nature scene:





Yep, she's that good, and surprisingly, we were the only ones who tipped her. She made these only with spray paint, her fingers, and index cards. I think DShaw got video of her technique, so I'll upload it in like a year.

It was back to the hotel after this, and I actually got the TV to work. Did something happen back in the States? Bin Laden was on the news, but I couldn't understand it.

Anyway, it looks like we're going to Ostia Antica and maybe the catacombs tomorrow. We also need to do some souvenir shopping (I want another painting!), and plan to drop off some pastries for the sisters.

It was a really relaxing night, and we're finally getting some rest on the trip.

By the way, my feet look realllllllly nasty now. Blisters like no other. I should take a picture.

Walk a mile (or 10) in these shoes indeed.

No comments: