Monday, June 15, 2009

SFO and Cleveland 5/24/09


(written at the airport in Cleveland, Ohio. That's a picture of the Rockies, which I've always wanted to see in person, or at least from the air)

I have a good feeling about this trip. The first flight was pretty smooth, except for the rough landing, and we had some pretty interesting convos on the plane about family, God, and life. We also talked to a pretty cool lady named Gigi on the plane. She knew something about EVERYTHING. Transportation engineering, biology, mechanics, history, literature, etc... Such a fascinating person. And she likes to travel, too. She was giving us tips on how to assimilate in Europe, and it seems pretty helpful. When in Rome, live as the Romans do.

We adjusted Chris' idea a bit at SFO while waiting for boarding. Basically, Chris had this pretty awesome idea where we'd put wristbands and headbands on statues we saw throughout Europe and take pictures of/with them. Cool idea, but I think what we're going to end up doing will be slightly more amusing. Maybe. Pictures will still be taken and posted.

So...here's my opinion of Cleveland: This is the most boring city in the world. Evidence: The airport has three Cinnabons, 10 Hudson News stands, 5 bars, and burger and pizza restaurants. There was a small rock and roll hall of fame store, but that only lasted for about 5 minutes of a 4 hour layover.

The worst thing is that there are NO ASIAN PEOPLE, which means that we've been getting a lot of stares/weird comments. Examples:

1) "You're gonna have to use the restroom if you drink a lot of water." Ok...that one needs a bit of context. Basically, we were going through the bag check, and we still had some water in our backpacks so we chugged it. The security guy saw us, apparently, and had to comment. I wanted to say "Yeah. I know how my body works," but I figured that I shouldn't give the guy attitude. I still needed to get on the plane to London.

2) "Macht schnell!" - We were the last people off the airplane. You thing just because you're speaking in German we can't understand you? It pretty much means hurry in German. Jerkface.

3) "Woah. You're Asian." - No comment.

So basically I hate this city, but thanks to Chris' text (after I complained about the terribleness of the city), I now know that you have to pass through a tunnel to get to the light. I am SO looking forward to Europe. It's going to be awesome.

No comments: