Tuesday, June 16, 2009

First day in London 5/25/09


We arrived in London at 9 AM. Interesting thing, though. The flight was supposed to last 8 hours, but I guess we were with the wind so the flight only lasted 7 hours. I thought I'd get 7 hours of solid sleep, but some parents behind be couldn't get their little girl to shuttup so I slept in short intervals and watched Monsters, Inc. and played memory in between periods of interrupted sleep. Fun stuff.

From London Heathrow Airport, we took the Tube (what Londoners call the metro) to London Bridge. The ticket salesman for the Tube was so polite it was almost funny. "May I have an all day ticket for the Tube?" "You may... Here's your change. Have a nice day now!" I've heard the service here is either extremely good or extremely bad. I guess I got extremely good service.

Our introduction to Central London: We got off at the London Bridge stop on the Tube, and when we got out, people were dressed up as ghouls. We kept walking, and found their source: The Tower Experience. One of the major sites in the area is a haunted house themed around the London Tower. To draw people in, they fake decapitate people in front of the entrance. I have a video if anyone's interested. Midgets are featured.

Stefan picked us up, and we went to his and Sam's flat to rest before heading out to lunch. London food is bad, but because of the influx of immigrants, there's pretty good cultural food. We got Thai food for lunch, and it was GOOD (spicy!).

Afterward, we went sightseeing along the Thames. Little fact: It's pronounced the TIMS. We saw the London Bridge, Tower Bridge, Shakespeare Globe, London Eye, and the Parliament Building and Big Ben in Westminster. The thing that surprised me the most was the relative size scaling of these sights. The London Eye is HUGE, but photographs small. The Shakespeare Globe is small, but looks big in pictures. I just gotta say. Being slightly jetlagged and having only 3 hours of sleep, this is the most tired I've ever been in my whole life. I swear, I was about to fall asleep while WALKING several times during the walk along the Thames.

After the sightseeing, we went to a smallgroup meeting in London, and learned two new hymns. Being with Christians here has been really sweet. Everyone treats you like family, even though you're "complete strangers." It's an awesome experience.

Anyway, I'm beat, but I still can't believe I'm in London right now. The funny thing is that I'm 4000 miles away from "home," but I don't feel like I'm that far away. I think it has to do with the fact that the city feels like Berkeley, and I'm with people from church=Family.


Last little fact before I crash: People here don't know how to tan. It was a sunny day here, and people were laying out in the sun, getting burnt. Not hot.

No comments: