Sunday, March 28, 2010

I got the back-to-school blues, but it's not so bad this time.Usually I'm hating life right about now, but I have to say that I've really been enjoying grad school.

Spring break was nice and chill, though. I was planning on going to SLO with some Berkeley kids, but that fell through. Instead, I visited my cousins in Reno (which, in the past ended up with me driving back with a hangover and some missing money). This time was really different, though. On the way over I prayed that the Lord would sanctify my time there, and I really think He answered it. On top of eating a ridiculous amount of good sushi and watching movies, I got a chance to visit my Aunt, whose husband (my uncle) died recently.

She told me that she's been having trouble sleeping, and that her restaurant business has been slow. I was able to share a verse with her (what's gotten into you, Ivan?): Matthew 11:28 "Come to Me, all who toil and are burdened, and I will give you rest." I told her that if she can't fall asleep and no one is there to talk to her, she can talk to the Lord. She jokingly, but kindly responded, "Think He'll help me fall asleep?"

"I don't know if He works that way, but it can't hurt to try. Plus, He's always there and you can tell Him anything."

She responded, "I never thought about it that way," and even though that was the end of that part of the conversation, I could tell she took me seriously. I've been praying that she'll believe in the Lord. I can tell that she's lonely now that Uncle Paul's gone.

The next day I actually went to meet with some believers in Reno. It was a small gathering, but it was pretty intimate and we shared our enjoyment of the bible with each other. It was sweet, and now I have another reason to go back to Reno.

I'm really glad I got to see my cousins and other family. The last time I saw them was over a year ago, and I think this trip was really worthwhile.

Aside from that, the rest of my spring break was spent sitting in on a hand dissection, visiting my grandma, getting a little bit of work done, hanging with old friends, and, oh yeah. Getting hit on the freeway (see previous post).

Looking forward to:
1)Getting a Great America season pass! It's so close now, so I'll definitely make use of it!
2)Buying a snowboard (maybe?). That way I'll be motivated to learn. Hopefully.
3)Saving money. HAH
4)Hopefully getting this insurance stuff taken care of quickly

I just bought this book, by the way:


Remember that friend I was worried about (the one who had open heart surgery)?. Well, the procedure went really really well, and he recovered more quickly than the doctors expected. He "blames" it on our prayers for him. The doctor even called him "a miracle" because he recovered in less than half the time from this procedure (he's in his 70s) than when he had a similar procedure done in his youth. I'm usually skeptical about these things, but thanks, Lord.

Anyway, Ravi Vakil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravi_Vakil), the author of the book, is his nephew. He's a mathematical genius - he wrote this book about mathematical problem strategies in his undergrad, has taught at MIT and Princeton, and is tenured at Stanford. He's only 40. I'd like to go visit him and maybe get him to sign my book, which won't be weird because I know his uncle.

Sorta looking forward to a busy quarter! Hopefully there won't be rain this week...

Reminder to self: pray more for those around you.

No comments: