Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Doctor, doctor, give me the news


Frightening? Yes, I know. Don't search "bad doctor" on Google, by the way. you'll get some shaddddyyy results.

I made an appointment Monday with the medical center on campus. I started breaking out again - nothing as bad as Freshman year or last year - but I'm paying for school health insurance so I might as well use it, right?

The system is kind of weird. Students need to see not-a-doctor at the student health center on campus first, who either try to treat them, or refer them to doctors at Stanford or nearby hospitals. I guess it saves the school a little money if they don't need to send every student to a doctor, who only needs the treatment of a NP or PA. Anyway, here's what happened:

I was initially pretty impressed by the efficiency of the system - I made an appointment online the night before on a Sunday, got a Monday morning appointment, went in 20 minutes early, and had no wait time. Woot.

The nurse sat me in the room, asked me what I was there for, and then told me that the "doctor" would be with me shortly. He came in, and asked me the same questions. It's been a while since I've gone to a doctor, so I don't remember if this is standard or not. Still, I was a little annoyed because the nurse had already entered the info on the computer.

He checked out my face, which was admittedly awkward, and basically told me that I had a few options: use a lot of topical stuff (He said the more the better, usually. "Uh huh..." I thought), go on antibiotics for 3 months (uh...), or take a referral to see a dermatologist. The antibiotics option sounded shifty, so I asked the not-a-doctor if there were any risks to being on antibiotics for that long of a period of time. In a nutshell, this is how he responded:

"With any treatment there are risks. You could be more susceptible to bacterial infections like pneumonia, and there's a chance the bacteria could become resistant to the antibiotics. I think of it like this." Then he went into a story about how people fight against deforestation, but the rainforests will still be destroyed as long as people need to expand and use tree-products.

"Hmm...Think you can refer me to a dermatologist?" I said.

I hope I didn't offend him, but that was a little too much. Plus, I didn't follow the logic with the rainforest anecdote. The appointment with the dermatologist is this monday. Hope it goes well.

The retreat was good this weekend. I'll share later.

No comments: