Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Culture Shock


I mentioned how my roommates flew in from India a week ago, and that this is their first time in the US. They do speak perfect English (with an accent -cue Russel Peter's joke), and our conversations have been pretty interesting. Apparently, Stanford has programs to prepare international graduate students for assimilation into the US, giving advice on local slang, etiquette, etc...Some of the things are pretty hilarious:

"'Sick' is a term that can be used in a positive way: 'Man, that car looks so sick!'"
* If you see someone on the street, it's ok to smile and say "Hi."
* Do not eat your roommate's food. Food that is for everyone will be clearly marked.
* Replace the toilet paper roll if it's empty.

There were more, but I can't remember them right now. They do have handouts, though, so I'll try to get them and post some more.

Honestly, I've always seen myself as a tolerant person, but I didn't realize how many false concepts I had about Indian people until I found out who my roommates were. I guess it's a terrible result of hearing jokingly racist comments from the older generation about Indian people. I wouldn't consider my family to be racist because they don't treat people of other races as inferiors, but my Dad and Aunts and Uncles used to make jokes about everyone from Black people to Mexican people to Indian people at "dinner table" settings.

Fortunately, pretty much every preconception I had about Indian people has been destroyed over the past couple days. It's been really sweet living with Jithun and Vivek. I'll ask them about stuff in India, and they'll ask me about things in the US. Like road rules, advice on where to buy things, etc...Plus, we share all our food, so I've been trying the Indian food that they make and they try the Asian/American food that I make. In the words of my sociology professor at CAL, "Everyone is a closet racist, but some of us are recovering."

It's crazy to think that there's a good possibility that I'll be in their situation in a few years. That is, if my dream of living/working/studying in Europe ever comes to pass. I'd be in their situation exactly - able to speak the language somewhat, but immersed in a totally new environment with a different culture, rules, and customs. It's a pretty exciting thought, and I hope the Lord lets it happen.

Culture Shock: "the anxiety and feelings (of surprise, disorientation, uncertainty, confusion, etc.) felt when people have to operate within a different and unknown cultural or social environment, such as a foreign country."

Coming to Stanford is a bit of a culture shock, by the way. It seems like it's its own little bubble, and everything is too "perfect." I don't miss my problems (they're still there, but further in the back of my mind), but I do miss the real, raw environment of Berkeley. I'll admit that Berkeley is its own little bubble, but it seems more genuine than Stanford. Don't ever change, Ivan. I don't want to get too comfortable here.

On a side note, I looked up Stanford's Gospel Choir and they practice on Fridays during my small group meeting time. WAAAAAAA X'(. I miss CAL Gospel Choir.

No comments: